Do you really know what Gyoseishoshi lawyer is?
In Japan, Gyoseishoshi is generally recognized as,
- Reliable neighbor lawyer
- Administrative procedure professional
In this article, I would like to explain about Gyoseishoshi as your neighbor lawyer.
Just like general practitioners, Gyoseishoshi is the most accessible lawyers in Japan (In 2015, there’re almost 45,000 Gyoseishoshi in Japan).
Gyoseishoshi can help you, for example,
- Applying for permanent residence / naturalization,
- Applying and notifying on your status of residence
- Drawing up / examining various kinds of contracts
- Drawing up a will and executing an inheritance
- Registrations on your car (such as ownership, Shako-Shomei : certificate of garage)
These are only a few examples, and there’re much more that Gyoseishoshi can be your help. Each Gyoseishoshi’s strengths and prices are different (For example, this Co-en office welcomes contact from foreigners in Japan, both in Japanese and English), so please ask your friends if they know, or check by yourself on the internet to find out your best Gyoseishoshi.
What Gyoseishoshi cannot do
However, Gyoseishoshi is not Almighty lawyer. There’re something they cannot handle.
- A lawsuit
- Commercial / Real property registration
In Japan, they are Bengoshi and Shihoshoshi‘s businesses.
So, when you look for a lawyer in Japan, you need to know which lawyer (Bengoshi, Shihoshoshi, or Gyoseishoshi) to ask in advance.